The Kidane Mehret Church in Jerusalem is part of the Debre Genet monastery, whose name means "Monastery of Paradise".
The monastery and its church belong to the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.
Kidane Mehret is a Ge'ez phrase meaning Covenant of Mercy. It refers to the Ethiopic tradition that Jesus promised his mother that he would forgive the sins of those who sought her intercession.
The feast of Our Lady of the Covenant of Mercy is celebrated on 16 Yekatit (Ethiopian calendar), corresponding at present to 24 February (Gregorian calendar) except in leap years, when it corresponds to 25 February, since in the Ethiopian calendar the extra day is inserted in what for the Gregorian calendar is the preceding month of September.
Emperor of Ethiopia Yohannes IV of the The Solomonic dynasty, used war booty won in his conflict with the Khedivate of Egypt to purchase land to the south of the Old City of Jerusalem. Construction was inaugurated in 1893, after the death of Yohannes in 1889, and the church was completed in 1901 under Emperor Menelik II. The Solomonic dynasty, also known as the House of Solomon, is the former ruling Imperial House of the Ethiopian Empire. The dynasty's members claim patrilineal descent from the biblical King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.
The Interior of Kidane Mehret Church in Jerusalem is round in shape with a dome of some 30 metres in height.
As in most Ethiopian churches, the interior consists of three concentric rings. In the centre is the square meqdes (????), "sanctuary", also called the qiddiste qiddusan (???? ????), "holy of holies", which only priests and deacons may enter and which contains the tabot, the tablet over which the Eucharist is celebrated. Around this is the circular part known as qiddist (????), "holy", intended for those able to receive holy communion. The outer circular ring, the qne mahlet (?? ????) is for the cantors and is accessible by the faithful generally